Wednesday, April 22, 2009

If Crack is Whack - What is Meth?

There are few things in life that I can’t endure. One thing though is a boring speaker, about an interesting topic, while I sit on hard, folding chairs. That was what I found myself enduring over the last two days.

I was at a drug conference about a topic in which I have an interest, but for some reason - maybe undiagnosed ADD - my attention span was the equivalent of a grass hopper. If grass hoppers have normal attention spans then I apologize to any grass hopper I may have offended. Guess I could have said, "wholly worms". Everyone knows they are real flakes!

This drug conference shed little new light on a subject that has been ebbing and flowing through our communities here in Southern Illinois. For those of you who don’t know - Meth (methamphetamine, ice, crank, etc.) was a really rampant drug about five years ago in these here parts. Now, the drug problem has changed to a prescription drug abuse epidemic. It was explained that this new phenomenon was a result of those individuals being addicted needing a fix and finding agreeable doctors willing to write a script.

Here’s a little eye-opener for you. If you have a Rx for something that is an Opiate (Vicadin, Ativan, Hydrocodone, Oxycontin, etc.) keep track of how many pills are in your bottle. The experts today said that the family medicine cabinet is the first place many kids are introduced to powerful pills that they have no business touching.

Pretty much after I was told what I already knew, my interest waned. And my butt got tired. Ironically, I found myself daydreaming about getting meth for personal use just to stay alert.

Any why do we not have a drug court in Jackson County???

The views expressed in the above blog are not necessarily those represented by the 1st Circuit Probation Department, the Judges of the 1st Circuit, or the presenters at the conference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on what I wrote. I value your input and the time you take to read my blog. If you want to write me something personal, email me at joehowerton111@gmail.com

Thanks.