Saturday, January 17, 2009

Get On WIth It

It’s amazing how God works.

This was probably the most stressful week I have had in a long while. And of course, it was self-inflicted and unwarranted. I think that was what led to yesterday’s blog about my feelings. (Looking back at yesterday’s blog, I forgot to add "sad.")

I agreed to help out my church with designing and painting a large (8'x10') backdrop for the sanctuary. I was asked last week to do it, but of course for the first 3 days of last week, I was... um... counting the tiles in my bathroom. (17 from the door to the tub, 9 from the wall to the sink. 4 are broken. If you must know.) All of that "counting" got in the way of putting the mural on canvas. That left me a couple of days to design what the mural would look like and get supplies. Tuesday through today were the days I had left to get it actually painted while still trying to do my real job and care for the kids.


With the help of a friend we were able to get the grid down on the canvas early this week. And another friend and I were able to finish painting it today. Ok, he did most of the painting, but since I was the un-commissioned artist, I get the credit. Right? Anyway, it looks awesome. He did a great job on it and those of you who go to GACC will see it Sunday. I will take a picture of it on Sunday and post it on the somewhere for the rest of you to see it.

The point I am trying to make is that without these two friends, my week would have been even more stressed. They were able to help me get this project done - in time and better than I could have done it solo.

You can also add to the successful painting project, three great lunches this week where I spent time with friends. One lunch was with a former co-worker who left for SIU Law school where she will be graduating in the Spring near the top of her class. (I am so proud of her!) She and I share several similar life experiences and have always had a connection. One lunch was with a gentleman from my church who has been a wise counsel through these tumultuous times in my life. And the third lunch was with a former intern and now close friend who has been my "go to girl" for cheap counseling and to share my feelings. Looking back, all three lunches were good in a different way. All three were good meals, too. All three were able to supply me with something I needed that day.

I still stressed over getting the mural completed. I still stressed over bills and home matters. I still stressed over my growing pile of files at my office. I still remembered I shouldn’t stress. God is in control and He knows when you need a break. So hang on, the ride is just starting again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on what I wrote. I value your input and the time you take to read my blog. If you want to write me something personal, email me at joehowerton111@gmail.com

Thanks.