Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Has Anyone Seen My Other Shoe?

Falling temperatures, snow, sleet, freezing rain, icy pellets, and bitter cold winds. That’s what this week has had. But in the heart of another So. IL winter I think I am starting to warm up.

It seems my spirit has loosened up and brightened. I can see that even with all the obstacles and trials that I still must navigate, to borrow a very overused word, I have hope. (Sorry, President BHO, you ain’t supplying any hope this direction!) I'm not out of the clouds, but the drizzle has stopped and I can see a couple of rays of sun. There might even be a rainbow somewhere. Ok, now I am starting to sound like I wear a dress and have blue birds fly through the window every morning to wake me up. I need to eat a medium rare steak and watch some ultimate fighting.

I have never been a real big believer in the whole "think positive and good things come your way" philosophy. It has always been my contention that thinking positively removed a certain aspect called "hard work" from the equation of landing "good things". And to me it was just a phrase that men with an abundance of overly white teeth hawked in a book/cassette/CD/DVD late at night. But, I have a friend that has taken that phrase to heart and it’s seems to be working well for her!

However, my take on this phrase, after discussing it with her and thinking about it, is a little different. What if, rather than thinking continuously of positive things... just don’t think about all the possible negatives - or how something that has been going well might end? Then you can still put in your hard work and not worry about a crash that might, or might not happen.

So much of the last two years of my life has been spent waiting for the other shoe. It dropped. It crashed. It fell through the floor into the basement, rolled down the hall and clogged the sump pump. I hate the other shoe. I have had lots of shoes to plummet to the ground. But, I should realize there will always be those shoes and what good is it to prepare yourself for them. Anyway, you’re never really ready for them even if you know they’re around the corner.

I tell my clients, don’t worry about something until there’s something to worry about. As Christians, we are not to worry anyway. I think I am listening to my own advice again.


Maybe those shoes absconded with the proverbial missing sock.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Feel free to click on the little envelop button next to the time stamp down here and write me a quick (300 characters or less) note about any of my entries. I would love to know how many of you are actually reading my ramblings and take offense or pleasure. I promise this is all I will write today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on what I wrote. I value your input and the time you take to read my blog. If you want to write me something personal, email me at joehowerton111@gmail.com

Thanks.