Friday, February 20, 2009

Why Should I Pay Your Mortgage?

Now I normally don’t get all political on this blog. I rode Rod B. pretty hard on occasion, but I don’t believe I was alone on that one! (Think he knows the term "crap weasel?" Friends reference.) At SIUC, I majored in Administration of Justice (hence a career in Probation!) and minored in Political Science (hence what I am writing about tonight).

Being born when I was (1970), my first foggy memories of anything political was President Ford. I remember President Carter and his brother Billy. Wasn’t there a story about a rabbit, or some kind of animal involving the Carters? Anyway, I remember nothing about Vietnam, nothing about the protests and vaguely the run on gas in the ‘70s. I remember my dad saying, "Reagan will never serve out his term." It was my dad who didn’t make it. I remember watching the evening news nearly every night wondering what all that doom and gloom was really about and thinking that everything must be wrong.

What I don’t remember is Americans being so upset with their government and having so little say to stop what is going on. I also don’t remember so many who were "mesmerized" by a political figure as is happening with President B.H.O. I am one of those evil "right-wingers" so if you are left-leaning you will probably dismiss what I am saying right off the bat.
Here’s what I overheard yesterday at Pizza Hut in Murphysboro, IL from three senior citizens who I eaves-dropped on.
Woman 1: "Can you believe that bill that they passed. Did you see what they
are going to do with some of that money?"
Woman 2: "I am so @#$% mad. I don’t
get it. They are not even sure if the @#$ thing is going to work. And why in the
#$% should I pay a #$% cent so someone else can stay in their #$% house that
they couldn’t afford in the first place. This @#%$ has got to stop."
Woman 1: "I am scared. I have never been this concerned about the future than I am today. But I know one thing. He better not touch my #$% Social Security. I worked #@$ hard for that money and it better be there."
Man 1: Didn’t say a thing. He kept eating. Obviously a very smart man.

I have overheard this same conversation (sometimes even without the curse words) at grocery stores, gas stations, restaurants and in homes for the past couple of months. So much has "changed" in this nation in the last 6 months - all because of a "crisis" - I don’t recognize this country as the one I grew up in. It used to be that in hard times, the President would come on the TV and say something like, "We as Americans are the best workers in the world. We can overcome this through hard work, perseverence and a tenacity that made this country the envy of the world. Our best days are ahead." I am not hearing that now. What we hear now as President O flies over all over the country is if you are not working it’s no big deal. I have a plan to "help" you through this "crisis". We’ll give you money for your mortgage and pay you more to have more kids. We are going to raise taxes and give money from people who have a job and are making ends meet to those of you who aren’t. Those of you who have been looking for work, we are going to give a ton of money to the big unions (UAW has something like $1.3 billion in assets) and they will hire you. Oh, and we are still telling the auto industry what vehicles to build and bank who to lend to and we’re coming after health care next.

Other than bombing and breaking things via the military, what has the government ever done well and economically sound? Social Security? Nope. Government-backed mortgages? NOPE! Schools? Nope! Transportation? Nope Welfare? Nope!!!! Why, then would we want to expand what they are in charge of?

What gets me is this... all of this money that is being printed to cover the spending (spendulous) bill has not addressed ANY of the core reasons why we are in the "crisis". There is an inevitable outcome when you print extra money like we are.... massive inflation. And when it hits it’s going to be very bad. The good news is that there’s a growing number of American’s who think like I do. They(we) are livid over our government over-reaching it’s boundaries and entering areas of everyday life that is now effecting our freedoms and liberties on a wide scale. For too long we have lived on a slippery slope. Luckily, that slope was not too steep. Now that slope is steep and greased.

And one more thing. I applaud the Republicans in the House and Senate (minus the 3 closet Democrats) for not voting for this bill. President O can say what he wants about "working" with the Republicans, but if it were that important for America, Republicans would have been first to sign it.

It hasn’t taken too long for me to recognize that all this "change" is not going to benefit me or America.