Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I'm Getting Better...I Think

From the title of this blog, you kind of know where I'm headed. It's kind of like Weekend at Bernie's II.... you know the outcome, it's just the middle part that might throw you a curve.

Well, after last night's blog I was doing pretty well. The fever went down to normal for a few hours and then at 9am this morning it shot up to 101.3 again. I suffered for a few hours and decided it was time to call the big Dr in St Louis. My doctor up there is 1) the head of the renal department at Barnes, and 2) one of the leading renal dr's in the nation. I think the world of him despite never seeing him anymore since I am just a checkup patient. He normally only sees those who have just received a transplant and follows them for about a year. That's when the real doctoring takes place because so many things could go wrong and the meds have to be constantly adjusted to find what works best.

So...I called StL and spoke to the Kidney Transplant Nurse and told her what was going on. I explained that I felt like I was not getting any better and that the current course of action was not helping me. She gave me several options. I explained that I dont want options - just tell me what to do. (I get very stupid when I am sick! Talk to me like I am 5 years old.) She said to return to the ER in Carbondale and get re-evaluated and to have the Carbondale ER doctor to call Dr. Brennan in St. Louis to consult about what course of action to take. And if needed I could be admitted to Carbondale or tranferred to Barnes.

Well, I ended up back in the ER where the nurses and xray techs were wonderful. The Doctor was condescending to me, had not checked out my chart prior to entering the exam room, and actually told me that my local Dr had the same knowledge as my StL doctor - that "knowledge is knowledge". I about fell out of the gurney.

Well, after an IV antibiotic and another bag of fluids - I started perking up. My temp went down to normal and has been that way for 8 hours. I am starting to feel like my normal self and I hope my energy (and balance) returns, too.

One thing popped into my mind this weekend while I was in bed. I was very sick when Elvis died, too. Is it me getting sick that kills the current biggest performer, or them dying makes me sick.... hummmmm.

Im not out of the woods, but the treeline is in view!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on what I wrote. I value your input and the time you take to read my blog. If you want to write me something personal, email me at joehowerton111@gmail.com

Thanks.