Sunday, July 12, 2009

This Time I Mean It - I Am Getting Better

Well, I am writing the blog from the 10th Floor of Barnes Hopital. It has been a long 10 day stretch for me and those near me. I believe I can safely say, the worst is behind me. I knew I was sick, but I didn't really grasp it until Thursday when I literally fell into bed after a quick shower saying "I think I am going to die". At that point, I was soon to be headed to the ER for the 3rd time in the week and was determined to not be dicharged home until I was well.

I spent a couple days in the Carbondale hospital until being discharged to Barnes Hospital so my Dr and the Post-Transplant team could watch over me. They are an amazing group of Drs who will research drug interactions to the nth degree before giving us renal patients a drug. That is not something that happens at the local hospital... they just don't think of that stuff.

I was transported to Barnes via ambulance yesterday afternoon. That was not a fun ride - fast - but not fun. Anyway, after another round of tests (many of which C'dale hospital had already done) they determined that my numbers were headed in the right direction. I have had 3 chest xrays, 2 ultrasounds, 2 CT Scans, 4 cultures, and more viles of blood collected from me than I can remember. I am so happy, though. My arm is a pincushion and I finally got a shower and shave. (Think Tom Hanks in Castaway)

My Pancreas is working like is supposed to again, my liver enzymes and kidney functions are returning to normal as well. I am feeling much improved and the fever has been gone now for 41 hours. No they are trying to determine exactly what casused this whole thing and I wonder that too.

I should be coming home in a day or two. And I can't wait to eat a Quatros Pizza with some cold ice cream. I finally started eating late last night for my first real meal in 9 days.

Thanks for your prayers.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joe, really glad to here you are on the mend. Hope you get to eat that pizza soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting on what I wrote. I value your input and the time you take to read my blog. If you want to write me something personal, email me at joehowerton111@gmail.com

Thanks.