Thursday, December 11, 2008

Daniel's Story Hour Postponed

Today was my last day to work this week. I am taking Friday off to do some much needed running around/Christmas tree shopping/decorating/cleaning. There’s no possible way I will get all of those things done. Although I will be kid-free after 8am, so I should make a BIG dent into some of it..

Tonight, I cried like a baby at supper. It was awesome! While eating with Amanda at the table I remembered that I had not picked up the mail from the box outside. (UPS also showed up with a box that apparently came from the North Pole... if you get my drift!) Anyway, I allowed Amanda to open the Christmas cards that we received today. One of them was from a couple that goes to our church. They had written one of those Christmas letters I used to despise, and then participated in the construction of, and have now come to see they are actually worth while.
(Get on with it, Joe!)

I started to read the letter and they quoted Luke 2:15-20 (THE Christmas story). As I read the scripture Amanda started quoting it as I read ahead. She missed a couple of words here and there, but all in all, she got it pretty right! Well....... I cried. I cried a lot! I cried tears of joy and sadness. There was nothing that made Cindy happier than when Amanda would come home from VBS or Sunday School and quote a verse. It was the Bible Bowler in her. Did I mention I cried? Amanda was kinda scared at first with all my crying. She thought she had done something wrong. I explained that, no, I was just happy that she had been listening so well at school as they practiced their Christmas program (Sunday at 4pm @ Christ Comm.) and had picked up the verses. I told her I was also sad mom couldn’t be here to see how well she had memorized. I then told her that I believe that those in heaven can look down at us when there’s something here on earth that is special for them to see. "May I have your attention! Daniel's story hour normally scheduled for sometime today is postponed so Cindy can see Amanda quote 5 verses of scripture from memory. Daniel will return to Onyx Field 211 once Amanda is done with her quotes. Please remember, we have forever to catch his stories. He will be back in 200 years for more stories. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you."

I finally composed myself, beamed with pride, and gave Amanda a huge hug.

"We done good with that one, Hun!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on what I wrote. I value your input and the time you take to read my blog. If you want to write me something personal, email me at joehowerton111@gmail.com

Thanks.