Friday, February 6, 2009

Put This On The List

How come the days you expect to get lots of things done... nothing gets done. Is there a reason for that?

My job is one where you can plan to have a day free of distractions or interruptions and !BAM! everyone and their baby’s momma calls. Now don’t get me wrong. I like talking to people. If it weren’t for people, I would be out of a job and my job would not have nearly as many comical moments. (But my office would smell so much better!) Occasionally, the police reports do offer some laughs... like the one recently where they were searching a house for a suspected sexual assault assailant and came across a box next to my soon-to-be client’s bed that had "weed" written on it. You just can’t make this stuff up!

But really, is there any way other than to completely shut out the world to get stuff done?

One of the things that I admired about Cindy... but never told her... was how organized she was. And how organized she kept our family, too. Ok, I actually made fun of her for her incessant list making. I have attempted to duplicate her system of lists and other than the grocery list... I am failing miserably. At work, it took me about a year to find my stride with my own way of doing things. I tried other officer’s methods of keeping track of 100+ clients (156 clients my first year) but only when I did things my way - through trial and error - did I learn my lesson. Do it your way and as Dr. Sarah taught me with the kids... whatever works.

There’s so many areas where I can’t fill Cindy’s shoes. In some areas I don’t even try. Other areas, it’s not about filling her shoes but wearing my own.

(Why have I been using so many illustrations lately involving shoes???)


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have re-added the Comment area to my blog if you feel the need to drop me a line or comment on the blog. Feel free to express yourself... you won’t hurt my feelings. I can always delete it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting on what I wrote. I value your input and the time you take to read my blog. If you want to write me something personal, email me at joehowerton111@gmail.com

Thanks.